With so many dogs in need of homes in the United States, there’s no doubt that adoption will give you the satisfaction of knowing you saved a life. But choosing to adopt a canine companion has a positive impact in many other ways as well. Below are five ways adopting a dog can change your life for the better:
1. A more positive outlook on life: It’s hard not to cheer up after a rough day when you come home to a wagging tail and slobbery kisses. Also, it’s hard to sulk around the house too long when that pup of yours is ready for a walk, giving you the perfect excuse for some sunshine and some fresh air.
2. Improved self-esteem: All dogs need plenty of exercise, so adopting a new canine friend is sure to get you outdoors. Also, striking up a conversation at the dog park about your adopted new addition might come more naturally than you might think. Kids can also benefit from having a dog in the home. Always having a best friend to play with and be there for them improves self-esteem and can help kids combat shy tendencies.
3. A healthier immune system: Dog can sometimes help people build up immunity to allergens, asthma, and even some infections. This is especially true in children.
4. Less stress: If you want to relax and bring down your blood pressure, just take a seat and pet your dog. A happy, furry face is a fantastic stress buster.
5. More life lessons: It’s all too easy to get caught up in your busy day-to-day schedule, but bringing a rescue dog into your life can change that. Your new companion will likely know he’s been given a second chance, and is sure to teach you a great deal about friendship and unconditional love.