Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/39/6715639/html/index.php:2) in /home/content/39/6715639/html/wp-content/plugins/bad-behavior/bad-behavior/screener.inc.php on line 12
Easter Safety Tips | VetDepot Blog
≡ Menu

Easter Safety Tips

Easter is a few days away and we hope everyone enjoys the day with their friends, families, and fur babies. Whether you celebrate at home, at a park, or a friend’s house, we thought this would be a great time to remind our readers of some key tips for keeping their pets safe this Easter.

Easter Lilies Are Poisonous

The Easter Lilly, is an Easter staple. While it’s gorgeous, it can be potentially life threatening, especially to cats. Exposure to its pollen, leaves, or even the water the flower is kept in, can cause vomiting, frequent urination, and possible kidney failure. If these symptoms go left untreated, death can occur fairly quickly. Dogs may experience gastrointestinal distress if exposed, but nothing life threatening like cats do. It’s best to keep Easter Lilies away and out of reach from all pets.

Table Scraps Can Be Deadly

We know how cute our fur babies can be begging for leftover food, but giving them even small amounts can potentially be fatal. The ingredients used, spices for flavoring, and fat contents can make your pets incredibly ill with nausea and diarrhea, to the point hospitalization is needed. For example, the high salt content in ham can cause pancreatitis in dogs. This makes dogs incredibly sick and can be life threatening. It’s best to avoid giving your pets table scraps all together, no matter how cute they look asking for them.

Keep All Easter Candy up and Away from Pets Reach

Chocolate is bad for pets to ingest and in doing so it can cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. Many candies these days are made with an artificial sweetener called xylitol. Small amounts of xylitol can be fatal to pets. It doesn’t take much exposure to cause tremendous harm. This makes it so important to keep all easter candies up and out of reach of pets.

Easter Grass and Confetti Are Dangerous to Pets

If you plan on decorating with confetti, or Easter grass you may want to think twice. Confetti and Easter grass is not easily digested by pets. These items can be easily be mistaken as normal grass prompting your pets to ingest these items. Ingestion may cause a great amount of damage. Damage can involve the confetti or grass becoming lodged or blocked in the intestines or stomach, extreme discomfort, and possibly internal punctures which may require surgery or result in death.

VetDepot wishes you and your family a happy and safe Easter!

Print Friendly
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • email
  • Print
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment