There are several everyday items lurking around homes that can be hazardous to pets if ingested. Some of these items are so common that it might be easy to forget to keep them out of reach from curious dogs and cats. Below are four common household dangers to be aware of:
1.) Pennies: Pennies contain zine, which can cause anemia, kidney, failure, and even heart failure. Ingestion of just one penny can be fatal in some cases.
2.) Batteries Chewing on a battery can lead to severe ulcers in the mouth, esophagus, and stomach.
3.) Fertilizer: If you treat your lawn with fertilizer, be sure to keep your pets away until it’s dry. Some fertilizers contain dangerous amounts of phosphorus, zinc, nitrogen, and other potentially hazardous components.
4.) Detergents and dryer sheets: These laundry staples can cause ulcers in the mouth, stomach and esophagus in cats and dogs.