≡ Menu

Laundry Detergent Pods Pose Danger to Pets

kitten washing machine blogSingle-use laundry detergent pods have become a staple in many homes across the country. While these little packets may be convenient, they pose a major danger to dogs and cats if ingested.

It’s important to note that detergent in any form contains harmful chemicals and is dangerous for pets if swallowed, but pods tend to be more concentrated than bottled formulations. Detergent pods are also more likely laundry pods blogto be lying around on top of the washing machine or dropped on the floor, oftentimes putting them in easy reach for curious pets.

Consumption of a small amount (maybe a lick off the floor of a little spill) can cause drooling or retching. Ingestion of larger amounts or pods can lead to vomiting, difficulty breathing, inflammation, lung issues, and coughing. In the most extreme cases, soap can coat the animal’s airway and cause suffocation. If your pet ingests detergent, contact a veterinarian or a pet poison control center immediately.

Prevention is the best method of protection against household toxins, so be sure to keep all detergent products safely out of reach from pets.

Print Friendly
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • email
  • Print
{ 2 comments… add one }
  • Heather April 22, 2015, 7:58 pm

    These things are quite dangerous for little kids too. They look like little treats! Keep them up high!

  • Drew May 18, 2015, 10:31 am

    The detergent capsules sometimes look like candy so it’s best to not have them out for kids either. Thanks for the great advice!

Leave a Comment