≡ Menu

Lilies Have No Place around Cats

cat-lillyEaster is just around the corner.  Don’t celebrate with lilies if you have cats in the house.

Some types of lilies, including Easter lilies, tiger lilies, stargazer lilies, and certain day lilies, are extremely dangerous to cats that eat them. All parts of the plants are toxic, and ingesting only a small amount of leaf, stem, flower, or even pollen is enough to cause potentially fatal kidney damage. Dogs are not susceptible to lily poisoning.

Typical symptoms of lily poisoning include vomiting, loss of appetite, and lethargy.  Early in the course of the disease, cats produce more urine than normal, but as their kidney’s shut down, they stop urinating at all.

If you suspect that your cat may have eaten a piece of a lily plant, take him to a veterinarian immediately. If the poisoning occurred within the last few hours, the doctor can induce vomiting and administer medications to help prevent the toxic substances from being absorbed into the body. Affected cats need to be hospitalized for fluid therapy, close monitoring, and sometimes even dialysis to give their kidneys a chance to recover.

Print Friendly
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • email
  • Print
{ 2 comments… add one }
  • C McCuan March 21, 2011, 12:33 pm

    I want to thank you for providing all of the informative articles on your page. I copy the link and share with the fans on our Pet Helpers rescue page. Many of our fans did not know of the warnings you have provided. Your information has possibly saved lives. Thank you.

    • Erika March 22, 2011, 4:13 pm

      Thank you for taking the time to write us. We are so happy you found us and found our information useful.

Leave a Comment