Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/39/6715639/html/index.php:2) in /home/content/39/6715639/html/wp-content/plugins/bad-behavior/bad-behavior/screener.inc.php on line 12
March Is Poison Prevention Month | VetDepot Blog
≡ Menu

March Is Poison Prevention Month

March is poison prevention month. It’s a good reminder to go though your home and yard to ensure anything poisonous is removed or out of reach from your pet. Considering the following 4 tips to keep your sweet pet safe:

1.Be Aware of the Type of Plants You Have in Your Home and Yard

Plants such as Oleander, Daffodils,Tulips, and Lilies are very poisonous for pets and can possibly be fatal. The smallest ingestion of petals,leaves, or even the water from a vase one of these plants are in can result in vomiting, decreased heart rate, kidney failure, and possibly death. It is best to keep these plants out of reach of your pet.

2.Make Sure all Household Cleaning Products are out Reach and Properly Stored Away From Curious Paws

Window cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, and all purpose cleaners are very dangerous. If ingested, some cleaning products may cause upset stomach as well as severe burns to your pets mouth or tongue.

Dogs and cats both seem to be attracted to dryer sheets and moth balls.You may be surprised to learn that laundry dryer sheets and mothballs are extremely poisonous to pets. This is because they contain concentrated levels of toxic chemicals in addition to being a choking hazard. Ingestion may cause allergic reactions, neurological trauma,or intestinal blockage. All of which are very dangerous and may even cause death. Make sure to never store dryer sheets and mothballs where a pet may reach them.

3. Don’t Forget to Keep Trashcans out of Reach Too

Putting a trashcan behind a closed pantry door, a gate like this one, or in a cabinet can make a huge difference in preventing curious or mischievous pets from accidental poisoning as well as choking. We throw many dangerous items into our trashcans on a daily basis that can cause so much harm. Items such as batteries, medication, dental floss, and leftover foods that may contain bones or mold can be very harmful. In addition, coffee grounds are incredibly poisonous. Dogs and cats are highly sensitive to the effects of caffeine. Therefore, moderate ingestion of coffee grounds may cause vomiting, tremors, seizures, or death.

4. What To Do if You Suspect Your Pet Ingested Something Poisonous

If you suspect your pet may have come into contact with something poisonous, it is crucial to monitor your pet’s symptoms and get them to the vet for evaluation. Another useful resource is The ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center. The center is available by telephone 365 days a year, 24 hours a day at (888) 426-4435.

There’s nothing like the love and companionship of a pet. We would do anything to keep them safe so sharing these types of safety tips is so important. We hope you find our tips useful and informative.

Print Friendly
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • email
  • Print
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment