When the sun’s out and the days are long, there’s nothing better than a backyard barbeque with family and friends. While sharing a bite or two of grilled chicken breast or watermelon with your dog is usually fine in moderation, there are some barbeque foods that can be downright dangerous. Be sure to keep the following 5 foods away from Fido:
1. Ribs: Any meat on a bone is a recipe for disaster for dogs. It’s likely your dog will want to chew on that bone when the rib meat is gone, which can cause choking or severe injury if the bone splinters and punctures the digestive track.
2. Corn on the cob: Dogs don’t know to chew the kernels of corn off and leave the rest. The large cob can cause a dangerous intestinal blockage if swallowed in big pieces.
3. Too much fatty meat: While hamburger meat and steak isn’t toxic for dogs, ingestion of too much of these fatty meats can result in pancreatitis. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
4. Onion: Whether it’s being used as a burger garnish or chopped up in that guacamole, onion is a “no” for dogs. Ingestion can lead to gastrointestinal upset, an elevated heart rate, and even red blood cell damage.
5. Dessert: From fruit salad to brownies, there are a lot of doggie dangers lurking on the dessert table. It’s not known exactly why, but the ingestion of grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs. Most pet parents are also aware that anything chocolatey poses a danger because of the harmful compound, theobromine, which can lead to muscle tremors and heart arrhythmia. Sugar-free desserts containing xylitol are extremely dangerous for dogs and can have fatal consequences.
If you want to make sure your pup has a safe snack while everyone else is digging in, be sure to have some healthy dog treats on hand.