Why would my pet eat POISON?!
Well, for the same reason that a rat or mouse would…most poisons are manufactured with oats, molasses and other ingredients that make them tasty. These types of poisons are also extremely common and can often be found in many hardware and household stores. Also, pets don’t understand the common warning signs that we place on poisons, such as “DO NOT EAT” or the skull and crossbones symbol.
What happens if my pet eats rat poison?
It depends on the type of poison that is present; the most common poisons are called anticoagulants or blood thinners. It takes time for these poisons to take effect, sometimes even days. Your pet will likely appear normal during this period of time. However, if they’ve ingested enough of poison, they may bleed to death or have other organ dysfunction.
The other problem is that when they start to bleed, the bleeding occurs internally. Although you cannot see any blood on the outside, they may be bleeding into their stomach or lungs, which can be lethal very quickly.
What should I do if my pet eats rat poison?
Call your veterinarian or go to a veterinarian immediately. Most vets will try to “decontaminate” your pet by inducing vomiting or giving charcoal to prevent absorption of the poison. Vitamin K is the antidote for the anticoagulant rat poisons, but not for all other rat poisons. Often it is recommended to stay on Vitamin K for a month or more; alternatively your vet may want to check your pet’s blood clotting time to make sure it’s okay. If your pet has already started bleeding, IV fluids and transfusions are necessary.
The best medicine is PREVENTION! If you own a dog, cat or other pets, it is best not to keep rat or other pest poisons around the house.