With Spring comes warmer weather and lots of sunshine. Not only is it the perfect time to get outside with your pet, but it’s also gardening season. If you find your green thumb itching to do some gardening, it’s important to remember what’s planted in your garden should be safe for your pets. Consider the following three tips when you get ready to plan this Spring’s gardening:
Steer Clear of Certain Plants- Some plants are toxic to pets. If you’re going to be adding new plants to your garden, do some research first to ensure they are safe for pets. A few popular spring choices to avoid include the Azalea, Tiger Lily (and most Lilies in general, like Calla Lilies), Crocus, Amarylis, Carnations, Cresanthemums, and the Tulip. Other plants to watch out for include most types of Aloe, select palms such as the Sago, Begonias, most types of Laurel, select Ivy and Fern varieties, and even most Pine trees!
A good rule of thumb is to remember that if a plant is waxy or has waxy parts to it, it’s dangerous for your pet if ingested. If you choose to have a plant in your garden that is potentially harmful to your pet, it’s important to not leave your pet unattended in the yard or garden. It’s better to be cautious than for your pet to become ill and you not know what they consumed.
Fertilizers and Pest Baits Can Be Dangerous- Ingredients in pest baits can be fatal, causing brain swelling, kidney failure, or blood clotting disorders. Pesticides, insecticides, weed killers, and herbicides can cause pet poisoning. Depending on the ingredients, ingestion of fertilizers can cause a variety of symptoms, ranging from gastrointestinal irritation to seizures and death. Fish fertilizer, blood/bone meal and cocoa mulch are highly toxic to pets, so seek immediate veterinary care of you suspect your pet has ingested a dangerous substance.
Choose Decor Wisely- Dogs are known to try and eat or chew anything they can get their paws on. It’s not unheard of for dogs to eat or chew on stones, flags, light fixtures, and other decorative pieces. To be safe, assume your dog would eat or chew anything.