It’s important for potential dog owners to consider their lifestyle when choosing a new canine companion. For energetic people who thrive on physical activity, the following breeds might be a good match. Just be sure you have plenty of time to dedicate to these fun-loving dogs’ exercise needs.
- Australia Shepherd (pictured): These beautiful dogs are known for both their energetic personalities and their intelligence. They make great companions for families who love the outdoors. Australian Shepherds were originally bred as herding dogs, so if not given an outlet to use some of their energy, they might try to herd their family.
- Boston Terrier: If you’re looking for a friendly little dog that’s full of energy, a Boston Terrier might be the dog for you. These spunky dogs tend to do well in agility and obedience classes, which can be a fun activity for both dog and owner.
- Australian Cattle Dog: These dogs make wonderful running buddies due to their high endurance level. However, it’s important to make sure Australian Cattle Dogs get enough exercise every single day, otherwise their extra energy may present itself as destructive behavior.
- Jack Russell Terrier: Originally bred to hunt rats, the Jack Russell Terrier is a very active breed. For families with plenty of time and attention to devote, the Jack Russell Terrier makes a loyal and fun-loving companion.
- Border Collie: For potential owners looking for a dog that likes agility courses or long games of fetch, a Border Collie may be the perfect match. The Border Collie is considered one of the most intelligent dog breeds, so they need daily activity as an outlet for that intelligence.