≡ Menu

Three Autumn Dangers for Pets

brown puppy fall blogThe leaves are changing colors and cooler weather is setting in. While autumn is a beautiful time of year, it can also be a dangerous season for pets. Watch out for these three fall dangers that can harm four-legged family members:

1.) Toxic fall blooming plants: The Chrysanthemum, commonly referred to as the mum, blooms seasonally in the fall. Ingestion of the flower, leaves, or stem can trigger toxicity in both dogs and cats. Symptoms of ingestion include stumbling, drooling, skin inflammation, diarrhea, and vomiting. Meadow Saffron and Clematis are two other fall blooming plants to be weary of.

2.) Low visibility: Since there’s less daylight this time of year, it’s more likely that dog walks will take place in the dark. Be sure you pup is seen by oncoming cars by using a reflective leash.

3.) Moldy piles of leaves: Raking up leaves is synonymous with fall, but those colorful piles can quickly accumulate moisture, bacteria, and mold. Ingestion of these leaves can cause digestive upset in pets, including vomiting, diarrhea, and a decrease in appetite.

Print Friendly
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • email
  • Print
{ 5 comments… add one }
  • Jordan Walker November 11, 2014, 5:25 pm

    Thanks for sharing these three autumn dangers for pets. The pet owner should be aware of these dangers especially that season has changed.

  • Vickie November 13, 2014, 5:27 am

    We have to walk with a flashlight. I had not thought of a reflective leash. We have a little blinking bicycle light we take with us too.

  • Brenda November 13, 2014, 6:14 am

    We have a reflective coat for our dog who does walk on the roadway with us. The other dogs who run off leash in a large field along trails where flashing lights so we can see where they are. And when we come back up to the road drivers can see the flashing lights so they tend to slow down. Darkness is definitely something to think about when walking your pups.

  • Cindi November 13, 2014, 9:19 am

    I just went through this with my four-month-old GSD. Not sure what she got into since we have a farm but likely something moldy. 24 hours of throwing up two days of diarrhea but her appetite is back and her energy is back. Every day I’m digging mushrooms up every day she’s eating something out she shouldn’t be!

  • Kathy November 14, 2014, 4:21 pm

    I have three dogs of my own and often walk my neighbor’s two large dogs. At night I let the three big dogs off lead and all three are very dark. I found these light up LED collars and they are great! If the collars are moving fast, they are running and if they pause for a bit, then I run to pick up an “droppings” they may leave. They are well trained to come back when called, but if I can’t see them, it makes it much harder.

Leave a Comment