Spring is officially here, which may mean your canine companion is enjoying more time outside! Dogs are curious and playful by nature, which puts them at an increased risk for bee stings when exploring the outdoors.
Signs that your dog may have been stung by a bee include yelping, scratching or licking at the site of the sting, and redness. If your dog is stung, try to remove the stinger as quickly as possible. It’s important to do this with a flat surface like a credit card. Attempting to remove the stinger with your fingers or tweezers will likely expose your dog to more venom. For dogs that aren’t experiencing any alarming symptoms, a cold compress to reduce any inflammation and some rest is often sufficient.
However, some dogs do suffer from serious allergic reactions to bee stings. If your dog experiences severe swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, or vomiting, it’s important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Allergic reactions can become life threatening in a very short amount of time. Emergency veterinary care typically includes IV fluids and steroid injections.
To prevent stings, owners should keep pets away from flower beds and supervise their canine companions while outside. Always keep a veterinarian’s phone number within easy reach should an emergency situation occur.