Animals are not known for their discriminating appetites. For the last six years, Veterinary Practice News has been holding a contest for the best radiographs (x-rays) of the crazy things that veterinarians find in their patients. Here are some of the 2011 highlights:
- a dog that swallowed nine handballs and wasn’t even sick
- a dog that ate 2 metal slip collars
- a duck with a nail and large stones in her gizzard
- a dog with a sewing needle stuck in her throat
- a dog that swallowed 10 baby bottle nipples
- a cat that swallowed a guitar string (one end was sticking out of his mouth)
- a dog that ate not just the peanut butter on the spoon but the spoon itself (and a piece of a collar and a toy).
- a dog that ate his owner’s false teeth
The lesson to be learned is that pets (especially dogs) will eat just about anything. Provide them with safe dog treats and toys to chew on, and keep your valuables safely locked away!